Independent adjusters are needed to handle Ian and Nicole claims. Register for our free webinar and learn what it takes to become an adjuster.


If you are interested in working as an independent claims adjuster in Arizona, you will have to obtain your Arizona adjuster license first. Arizona does not grant reciprocal licensing privileges to any other state, so non-residents working claims in Arizona must go through the licensing process along with residents before being allowed an assignment. There is an exam required, but since there is no continuing education requirement, this license is easier to maintain than others. Follow these 3 steps to obtain and maintain your adjuster license in Arizona.

Step 1) Observe the Requirements

All individuals applying for an Arizona adjuster license must be 18 years of age or older and must pass an exam administered by Prometric. Non-residents, even if already licensed elsewhere, must take this exam along with resident applicants. In addition, all adjusters must have an office in Arizona that is “accessible to the public and at which records pertaining to adjuster transactions are maintained.”

Step 2) Obtain the License

To become a licensed Arizona adjuster, you will need to submit an application form. You may do this either electronically via or by mail with the Arizona Individual Insurance License “Form L-169.” With this application, you must submit your exam results, a completed fingerprint card (Form FD-258), an application fee of $120, and a fingerprint-processing fee of $24. If you are a non-resident and you already hold a license in your home state, then you do not need to submit the fingerprint card and fee (your total payment will be $120 rather than $144). Lastly, all non-residents must accompany their application with the “Adjuster Application Addendum,” stating the address of the office that they will hold in Arizona.

Step 3) Maintain the License

Licensed Arizona adjusters must renew their license once every four years by submitting a renewal application and a $120 renewal fee. Some licenses issued or renewed before January, 2007 will expire after only two years, for half the fee. There are no Continuing Education requirements mandated by Arizona for the proper maintenance of the adjuster license.


Ultimately, residents of Arizona will want to obtain their resident Arizona adjuster license – whether you intend to work claims there or not. Independent catastrophic adjusters who work outside the state but have their primary residence in Arizona should strongly consider obtaining this license. Many states will not allow you reciprocally to obtain their license unless you are licensed in your resident state, so this license will increase your own marketability as an independent claims adjuster across the board.

For additional licensing information and to begin studying for your Arizona adjuster exam, refer to AdjusterPro’s Arizona Insurance Adjuster licensing page.

Want to Read More Like This?

Subscribe to our blog and stay up to date on industry news, licensing information, and career tips.