Want to learn the quickest way to become a catastrophe adjuster? Register for our free webinar.

Become an Insurance Adjuster in Montana

Montana residents, follow our step-by-step guide below to get your Montana insurance claims adjuster license. We’ve also included information on how to renew your Montana license and what reciprocity looks like for MT adjusters so you’ll have everything you need to obtain and maintain your license.

Not a Montana resident? Visit the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance website to see details on getting your DHS or nonresident license.

Let’s get started!

#1: Meet the Basic Requirements for the Montana Adjuster License

Before you start taking steps to get your adjuster license, make sure you meet Montana’s basic requirements.

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be trustworthy and of good character and reputation
  • Maintain an office accessible to the public in Montana with records of transactions made under the license

If you meet these basic requirements, it’s time to strategize how to ace the Montana Adjuster state exam.

#2: Prepare for the Montana Adjuster License State Exam

While a pre-licensing course isn’t required by the state, we highly recommend you take the AdjusterPro Montana Adjuster Exam Prep Course so you’ll be fully prepared to ace the state exam.

Our course has been rigorously prepared and is regularly updated. Our online classroom allows you to print reference materials, take practice tests, and even create your own quizzes to help with subjects you are struggling with. Once you’re consistently making 90% on your practice tests and passing all the quizzes with flying colors…it’s exam time!

#3: Register for and Pass the Montana Adjuster License State Exam

Register for and take your Montana state exam through PearsonVue.

The exam is 88 questions and you will be given 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete your exam. Montana grades the exams on a scaled scoring system which you can learn more about in the PearsonVue Handbook on page 8.

How to Become an Insurance Adjuster in 5 Steps

Getting your home state or designated home state license is a great start. See what else it takes to establish a successful career in the claims industry.

Read the Article

#4: Get Fingerprinted Through IdentoGo

All Montana applicants are required to submit their fingerprints for a background check. Montana requires that candidates schedule their exam prior to scheduling a fingerprinting appointment.

Schedule your fingerprinting through IdentoGo. Some PearsonVue testing centers offer fingerprinting services so depending on where you take your exam, you might also be able to get fingerprinted on the same day.

#5: Submit an Application for Your Montana Adjuster License  

Once you pass the exam and have been fingerprinted, submit an application for your adjuster license at National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).

You can also check to see if your Montana Adjuster License has been issued through NIPR.

#6: Complete Montana Continuing Education and License Renewal Requirements 

Once you have your license, you’ll need to complete some additional steps every few years to keep it active. Resident Montana adjusters are required to complete 24 hours of continuing education (CE) every two years. The 24 hours must include:

You cannot receive credit for any course more than once in any CE reporting period. Excess CE credits cannot be applied to the next compliance cycle.

AdjusterPro offers over 40 hours of state-approved continuing education courses for Montana adjusters. View Continuing Education Courses for Montana Insurance Adjusters.

You can renew your Montana license through NIPR starting 90 days before the license’s expiration date.

Additional Information for Montana Insurance Adjusters

Now that you know how to become an adjuster, let’s take a detailed look at the fees and costs of getting and maintaining your license.

Montana Adjuster Licensing Fees

  • AdjusterPro Montana Exam Prep Course: $179
  • Exam Fee: $59
  • Licensing Fee: $50
  • Fingerprinting & Background Check Fee: $54
  • License Renewal Fee: $100

Montana Adjuster License Reciprocity

Reciprocity means an adjuster holding a home state license can apply for an adjuster license in another state without having to take that state’s exam. If you want to learn more about reciprocity and why it’s vital to your success, visit our Reciprocity: The Truth About Adjuster Licensing Agreements Between States blog article.

Fees for reciprocal licenses vary by state, but on average you can expect to pay between $40 and $60 per application, although a few states charge up to $120. To see what states will offer reciprocal licensing privileges to Montana adjusters, visit our Montana Adjuster Reciprocity Map. At the bottom of the page, we also offer a downloadable guide to help you prioritize which reciprocal licenses you should get first.

Montana grants reciprocal licenses to adjusters who hold a license in their home state. Montana will also accept a Designated Home State (DHS) license for adjusters whose home state does not license. 

Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance Contact Information

Website: Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance

Mailing Address:
Montana Commission of Securities and Insurance
840 Helena Ave
Helena, MT 59601

Phone: 406-444-2040
Fax: 406-444-3413

Email: producerlicensing@mt.gov

Obtaining your home state license is the first step to a career as an insurance adjuster. Once you become a licensed insurance claims adjuster in Montana, you should apply for reciprocal licenses so you can work in more states, making you more attractive to potential employers.

No matter where you’re at in your insurance adjusting career, we can help.

Want to know more?
Attend a free live Q&A webinar.

Learn what you need to know about getting licensed and going to work in our free webinar or call our Career Consultants at (214)329-9030.

Join Free Live Webinar

Want to Read More Like This?

Subscribe to our blog and stay up to date on industry news, licensing information, and career tips.