Want to learn the quickest way to become a catastrophe adjuster? Register for our free webinar.

Adjuster Property Certification

New and aspiring independent adjusters hoping to stand out to potential employers should seriously consider acquiring the State Farm Property Adjuster Certification.

State Farm insures more cars and homes than any other insurer in the United States. So, if you are seeking a carrier certification that will give you the best overall chance of deployment, this is THE place to start. There is, however, a surprising lack of information available on the subject so let’s review the State Farm Certification basics.

Why Do Adjusters Need the State Farm Property Certification?

Many insurance carriers require an adjuster to hold their carrier-specific certification in order to handle their claims. State Farm is no different. Even if you are temporarily employed at an independent adjusting firm that handles State Farm claims on a contractual basis, you’ll still need their specific certification in order to work any State Farm claims. Put that together with what we said above:

State Farm insures more cars and homes than any other insurance carrier in the country.

Most of the large independent adjusting firms have a piece of the State Farm pie. And the sheer claims volume from the country’s largest insurer means there is enough to go around for even medium and smaller firms.

Where Can Adjusters Get Certified?

Approved certification courses are offered by the IA Firms that handle a decent amount of State Farm claims. And the certification training is only offered to adjusters on those firms’ roster lists.

In the past, these courses were only offered once a quarter and had to be taken in person. But today, many IA Firms offer this course online, which is great news! It has sped up the process and allowed many more adjusters to get this important certification. But you do need to be licensed and on rosters to get notified and qualify to take the training.

Ready to Get Your Adjuster License?

Most IA Firms require you to hold your home state or designated home state adjuster license before you can apply to their rosters. We can help.

View Licensing Courses

While not a complete list, the following adjusting companies are currently approved to offer State Farm Certifications:

We recommend getting ‘State Farm Certified’ as soon as you have the chance and regardless of your current employment status. It will give you an edge because firms can assign you claims right away, without needing to wait for you to complete the required training.

What is the Property Certification Course Like?

The certification is a 2-day process. The first day consists of an initial 6-hour IDL or Interactive Distance Learning segment (previously referred to as the LDP or Live Desktop Presentation). This segment is streamed from State Farm to the classroom. The material covers protocols specific to handling State Farm claims.

The second day is comprised of two certification exams: Wind/Hail and Estimatics. You’ll need to study and pass these exams to obtain your certification.

How to Get Started

As mentioned above, certification courses are usually conducted once per quarter in person or online through IA Firms. But you do need to be licensed and on IA Firms rosters to get notified of openings. Dates are often released right before training and availability is usually limited.

Important keys to know before you get started:

  • In order to qualify to take the certification with a firm, you must be on their roster. You’ll need to submit a resume and online application to the adjusting firm in order to see the course schedule and register for a session. Remember – being on the roster email lists is usually the only way to find out about these courses.
  • Trainings are rarely publicized, even on the firms’ own websites and social media accounts.
  • There is a fairly good amount of prep work and studying that you’ll need to complete prior to the course so give yourself plenty of time to prepare.
  • Exam retakes are only offered on a set schedule. Make sure you know the retake policy prior to the certification. Better yet, take the course seriously, study hard, and you’ll do fine.
  • Fees vary per firm but are generally nominal.

Additional Carrier Certifications for Adjusters

There are a host of other insurance companies, such as Allstate, USAA, and Liberty Mutual, that require carrier-specific certifications. As an independent adjuster, you will need to obtain these certifications as well. Having more certifications means you can handle more claims for your employer, making you a more attractive hire.

But no matter what the training or certification, your best chance to be a part of it will come from being on Independent Adjusting Firm rosters.

Check out AdjusterPro’s Independent Adjusting Firm Directory to get started.

AdjusterPro’s advice: Get certified as soon as you can!

Getting the State Farm Property Adjuster Certification increases credibility and your odds of deployment and can serve as a foot in the door with major adjusting firms. Contact the companies above for further details and to schedule your IDL and exams.

Interested in a career as an insurance adjuster?

Learn what you need to know about getting licensed and going to work in our free webinar or call our Career Consultants at (214)329-9030.

Join Free Live Webinar

Want to Read More Like This?

Subscribe to our blog and stay up to date on industry news, licensing information, and career tips.