HURRICANE SEASON IS HERE! Get started before the next big event by joining one of our Free Webinars.

Become a Connecticut Adjuster

Connecticut residents, follow our step-by-step guide below to get your Connecticut insurance claims adjuster license. We’ve also included information on how to renew your Connecticut license and what reciprocity looks like for CT adjusters so you’ll have everything you need to obtain and maintain your license.

Not a Connecticut resident? Visit the Connecticut Insurance Department Website to see details on getting your DHS or nonresident license.

Let’s get started!

#1: Meet the Basic Requirements for the Connecticut Adjuster License

Before you start taking steps to get your resident adjuster license, make sure you meet Connecticut’s basic requirements.

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be of good moral character

If you meet these basic requirements, it’s time to decide what license to pursue and strategize how to ace the Connecticut Adjuster state exam.

#2: Choose which License to Pursue

Connecticut offers a few lines of authority for insurance claims adjusters so you’ll need to choose which license you want before getting started. The standard licenses are:

  • All-Lines Adjuster Series: 12-CT-09
  • All-Lines without Workers’ Comp Adjuster Series: 12-CT-10
  • Auto Adjuster Series: 12-CT-12.

The difference between the licenses lies in which types of insurance you have the authority to handle claims for. Both the 12-CT-09 and 12-CT-10 licenses include property and casualty (P&C) for residential, commercial, farm & ranch, inland marine, and ocean marine claims. The 12-CT-09 license also allows you to handle workers’ comp claims whereas the 12-CT-10 license does not.

The Auto Adjuster 12-CT-12 license only allows you to work on and settle auto damage claims.

So which license do you need? Unless you’ve been otherwise directed, or only want to handle auto claims, we recommend the All-Lines Adjuster 12-CT-09 license. It will certify you to handle more lines of insurance and is the most comprehensive license available. And since we offer them for the same price, 12-CT-09 adds up to a little more bang for your buck.

Important Tip: To handle auto claims in Connecticut, you must hold both an adjuster and an auto appraiser license. (The appraiser license is completely separate from any of the adjuster licenses.) If you’re interested in working auto claims, check out our Connecticut Auto Appraiser Courses. You can purchase the individual appraiser exam prep course, or buy a discounted package the includes both the adjuster and appraiser licenses.

#3: Prepare for the Connecticut Adjuster License State Exam

While a pre-licensing course isn’t required by the state, we highly recommend you take the AdjusterPro Connecticut Adjuster 12-CT-09 Exam Prep Course so you’ll be fully prepared to ace the state exam. If you are interested in one of the other adjuster licenses, you’ll want to purchase that exam prep course and then make sure to register for and apply for your license accordingly.

Our course has been rigorously prepared and is regularly updated. Our online classroom allows you to print reference materials, take practice tests, and even create your own quizzes to help with subjects you are struggling with. Once you’re consistently making 90% on your practice tests and passing all the quizzes with flying colors…it’s exam time!

#4: Register for and Pass the Connecticut Adjuster License State Exam

Register for and take your exam through PearsonVue CT. Remember to make sure and register for the exam you took your prep course for.

Make sure you enter the correct name, date of birth, social security number, etc. when registering. Mistakes will halt your ability to apply for your license and can take a long time to get corrected.

Both the 18-09 Adjuster and 18-10 Adjuster exams are comprised of 100 questions and you must score at least 70% to pass. Candidates who score below 70% will need to retake the exam and pay the exam fees again. You will be given 2 hours to complete the exam.

How to Become an Insurance Adjuster in 5 Steps

Getting your home state or designated home state license is a great start. See what else it takes to establish a successful career in the insurance claims industry.

Read the Article

#5: Submit an Application for Your Connecticut Adjuster License  

Once you pass the exam, you may submit an application for your adjuster license through either the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) or the Connecticut Insurance Department.

You can check to see if your Connecticut Adjuster License has been issued through the CID Verify License page.

#6: Complete Connecticut Adjuster License Renewal Requirements 

Once you have your license, you’ll need to renew your license every few years to keep it active. Resident Connecticut adjusters are not required to complete continuing education (CE) hours as part of their license renewal.

Licenses expire June 30 of each odd-numbered year. Detailed renewal information is available on the CID Renewal FAQ page. Renew your license through NIPR.

Additional Information for Connecticut Insurance Adjusters

Now that you know how to become an adjuster, let’s take a detailed look at the fees and costs of getting and maintaining your license.

Connecticut Adjuster Licensing Fees

Connecticut Adjuster License Reciprocity

Reciprocity means an adjuster holding a home state license can apply for an adjuster license in another state without having to take that state’s exam. If you want to learn more about reciprocity and why it’s vital to your success, visit our Reciprocity: The Truth About Adjuster Licensing Agreements Between States blog article.

Fees for reciprocal licenses vary by state, but on average you can expect to pay between $40 and $60 per application, although a few states charge up to $120. To see what states will offer reciprocal licensing privileges to Connecticut adjusters, visit our Connecticut Adjuster Reciprocity Map. At the bottom of the page, we also offer a downloadable guide to help you prioritize which reciprocal licenses you should get first.

Connecticut grants reciprocal licenses to adjusters who are licensed in their home state, except CA, HI, and NY. Connecticut will also accept a Designated Home State (DHS) license for adjusters whose home state does not license.

Connecticut Insurance Department Contact Information

Website: Connecticut Insurance Department

Mailing Address:
Connecticut Insurance Department
Licensing Division
PO Box 816
Hartford, CT 06142

Phone: 860-297-3849 or Toll-free Number: 1 (800) 203-3447
Fax: 860-566-3978

Obtaining your home state license is the first step to a career as an insurance adjuster. Once you have your Connecticut home state or designated home state license, you should apply for reciprocal licenses so you can work in more states, making you more attractive to potential employers.

No matter where you’re at in your insurance adjusting career, we can help.

Want to know more?
Attend a free live Q&A webinar.

Learn what you need to know about getting licensed and going to work in our free webinar or call our Career Consultants at (214)329-9030.

Join Free Live Webinar

Want to Read More Like This?

Subscribe to our blog and stay up to date on industry news, licensing information, and career tips.