To obtain your Rhode Island Auto Appraiser License, complete the following steps:
1. Meet the basic Rhode Island Auto Appraiser Licensing Requirements
- Be at least 18 years old
- Obtain a Criminal Background Check
- Operate independently of any repair shop or car dealership
2. While Rhode Island does not require a pre-licensing course, we recommend completing AdjusterPro’s Rhode Island Auto Appraiser Exam Prep Course to ensure passing the state exam
3. Register for and pass the Rhode Island State Exam
4. Obtain a Criminal Background (B.C.I) Report from the Rhode Island Attorney General’s office. Details regarding the B.C.I. report are available on the RIAG website or by calling the office at 401-274-4400. Background reports are valid for 30 days and a copy must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Submit an application through NIPR Rhode Island
6. Submit a RI Employment Affidavit. This is only required if the applicant is not currently employed with an insurance company. An affidavit that matches the current employment status needs to be completed, notarized, and attached to application.
7. Check to see if your license has been issued at SBS Rhode Island
Additional licensing details are available at Rhode Island DOI Licensing.
Rhode Island allows you to hold both an adjuster license and an auto appraiser license in order to handle both parts of an auto claim: the appraisal and the settlement. Click on the insurance adjuster tab above for more information.